Deer, waterfowl, pheasants and sandhill cranes are among the quota hunts offered by the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources this season at state wildlife management areas and other public lands.
Hunters can apply for these quota hunts throughout September by going online to fw.ky.gov. Applications are not accepted over the phone; the minimum fee is $3 per application.
Kentucky Fish and Wildlife will offer 38 deer quota hunts at wildlife management areas (WMAs) and state parks; waterfowl quota hunts at five public land locations; pheasant hunts at three WMAs; and statewide sandhill crane quota hunts. Elk quota hunt drawings were held earlier in the year.
Options and season dates for deer quota hunts at Kentucky state parks include:
• Nov. 1-3, 2019: Greenbo Lake State Resort Park
• Nov. 4-8, 2019: Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park
• Nov. 8-10, 2019: Greenbo Lake State Resort Park
• Nov. 14-17, 2019: Kenlake State Resort Park
• Dec. 5-8, 2019: Kincaid Lake State Park
• Dec. 12-15, 2019: Kincaid Lake State Park
• Dec. 12-15, 2019: Green River Lake State Park
• Dec. 14-15, 2019 (youth-only): Dale Hollow Lake State Park
• Dec. 19-22, 2019: Green River Lake State Park
• Jan. 4-5, 2020: Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park
• Jan. 4-5, 2020: Kenlake State Resort Park
• Jan. 7-8, 2020: Greenbo Lake State Resort Park
Sixteen wildlife management areas will also host quota deer hunts in 2019. A complete list of all hunts, dates and special regulations – some hunts are reserved for youths or mobility impaired hunters – are listed in the “Quota Hunts” section of the Kentucky Hunting and Trapping Guide, and under the “hunt” tab of the department’s website.
Guides are available wherever hunting licenses are sold, or the guide may be viewed online at fw.ky.gov.
During September, upland bird hunters can apply for pheasant quota hunts, scheduled Nov. 15-17 at Green River Lake WMA, and Dec. 6-8 at both Clay WMA and Yellowbank WMA.
Hunters may apply for waterfowl quota hunts at Ballard WMA and Sloughs WMA. There are new procedures for these hunts detailed under the Waterfowl Quota Hunts section.
Maps of Slough WMA to help waterfowl quota hunters are available under the “Waterfowl Quota Hunts” section.
The statewide sandhill crane season is Dec. 2, 2019 through Jan. 26, 2020.Drawn hunters must pass an online sandhill crane identification exam before they may receive a permit.
The quota hunt drawing results will be available by Friday, Oct. 11. Applicants can check to see if they have been selected by accessing the “My Profile” feature on the department’s website. If results are not showing correctly, or an applicant does not have internet access, call the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Information Center at 1-800-858-1549 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern time) on weekdays.